1. If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are.
2. When the character of someone is not clear to you, look at their friends.
3. Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water. After enlightment: Chop wood, carry water.
4. A flower falls even though we love it and a weed grows even though we do not love it.
5. Although gold dust is precious, when it gets in your eyes, it obstructs your vision.
6. The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
7. He who asks a question is a fool for a minute; he who does not remains a fool forever.
8. It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
9. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
10. We cannot see our reflection in peanut butter unless it has melted completely.